I have made this soup a couple times this winter and it has been a big hit especially served with some crusty bread.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leave parsley
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, drained
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups spinach – packed, rinsed and torn
- 1/2 cup of small pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic. Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans, basil, parsley, pasta and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini and pasta is tender.
- Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes. Top soup with grated Parmesan cheese.